Prairie Circle Unitarian Universalist Congregation
Covenant of Prairie Circle Unitarian Universalist Congregation
Approved 2.27.2011 by the Congregation
Approved 4.15.2008 by the Board
We, the members of Prairie Circle Unitarian Universalist Congregation covenant with ourselves, the staff, and the Church Board to live in harmony with our seven principles:
1. I will honor the inherent worth and dignity of every person by treating every person with respect. When I speak, I will speak directly, honestly, sensitively, clearly, and I will speak for myself only. I will listen with patience, openness, and compassion whenever anyone speaks to me. I will not denigrate others nor will I support the denigration of others by my silence.
2. I will model justice, equity, and compassion in human relations by forgiving myself and others when we make mistakes. I will support those who serve the Church regardless of whether they were hired, elected, or volunteered to meet a need. I will praise their efforts for the work they do, the positions they fill, their responsibilities and duties. I acknowledge the demands of personal, family, work, social, and spiritual commitments on my time; therefore, I will strive for balance and allow others to seek balance in their lives.
3. I will promote acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregation by taking responsibility for my own spiritual growth and supporting others in their spiritual pursuits. I will learn how the Church works and about Unitarian Universalist principles, traditions, and rituals.
4. I will support a free and responsible search for truth and meaning by supporting and encouraging responsible freedom of the pulpit. I will share my vision and my spiritual values while respecting other faiths and practices, and I will not feel compelled to defend my beliefs.
5. I will support the right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large by embracing differences of opinion. Without ridicule or intimidation, I will encourage the expression of opposing points of view.
6. I will strive for the goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all by promoting and supporting interfaith efforts compatible with Unitarian Universalist values and principles. I will uphold the rights of diverse religious groups within the larger community. I will pay attention to issues of fair treatment.
7. I will show respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part by acting responsibly in local and global issues to reflect Unitarian Universalist principles.